Clients, Supporters, and Friends: We hope 2017 is off to a great start for you!
Did you go on any adventures last year?
In early August 2016, Elizabeth took her first unplugged week-long vacation since she launched this firm, drove through 10 states & a herd of bison, and visited both Badlands National Park in South Dakota and Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota.
Erika, our Strategy & Operations Manager, who is passionate about wildlife, went on safari for the first time! Her husband planned a phenomenal visit to 4 national parks in Kenya– Amboseli, Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara, and Tsavo West. Our Online Community Manager,
Katie, moved back to the States after 18 months in South America and began a Masters of the Environment program with a specialization in Policy & Management at the University of Colorado Boulder.
Thanking Our Supporters By Donating 1/3 of Profits to Three Charitable Causes
No company can achieve success alone–we are supported by everyone who refers a new client, gives us an opportunity to appear on a podcast or in an article, shares one of our resources with their tribe, or simply has a wonderful conversation with us on social media!
Because of the strict ethical rules for attorneys in California, we cannot have affiliates or even give small gift cards as a thank-you for referrals. We could have a fancy end-year party here in California, but that’s not our style (and most of you couldn’t come, anyway!).
So, on Giving Tuesday in November 2016, we gave thanks for your support by “giving back” 34% of our annual profits to charitable causes as selected by the members of our team:
- Kiva: Selected by Elizabeth Potts Weinstein, Founder & Lead Attorney
- Orangutan Outreach: Selected by Erika Yost Kumar, Strategy & Operations Manager
- Global Greengrants Fund: Selected by Katie Browning, Online Community Manager
Go to Our Causes page to learn more about why we picked these three particular causes.
Hourly Rate Is Changing for All Clients as of April 1, 2017
As you probably know, most of our clients work with us on a flat-fee or retainer basis. But some clients occasionally will go on an hourly basis for miscellaneous email advice, a tiny project, or an open-ended project that can’t be predicted enough to estimate.
Elizabeth’s hourly rate for legal work, $300 per hour for over ten years (!?!), needed an update. As of January 2017 the rate increased for new hourly-based clients, and as of April 1, 2017, Elizabeth’s rate for all hourly-based client work is $400 per hour.
New Service: Quick Calls for $100 (15-min Call/Skype or one-question Email consults)
Do you have one quick legal question? In 2016 we added a new service — the 15-minute Quick Call — so you can “pick my brain” to get answers for one legal question. This works great for issues such as:
- Should I start my business as a sole proprietor or as an LLC?
- I just got a Cease & Desist letter–what should I do?
- I want out of a contract–what are my options?
- I’m hiring a new assistant–can I keep them as contractor or are they really an employee?
- A client won’t pay me–what are my options to enforce the agreement?
We’ve recently expanded this service to also cover consultations for one question via email, for those of you who are international or would just rather do everything in writing. Check out our Quick Call page to learn more!
Upcoming for EPW in 2017
- Starting the process to become certified as a B Corporation. “B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.”
- Adding Flat-fee Legal Projects to the website. We already draft contracts, move businesses to different states, and do other miscellaneous legal work on a flat-fee basis. Soon we will be adding descriptions & price examples of these flat-fee projects to the website. (For now, send us a message to get more information!)
- Adding a Legal Check-Up Service, which will be a comprehensive legal review of your business, later in 2017.
We welcome new clients, so feel free to pass along this post to someone who may be interested. If you have any legal needs right now, just send us a message to start the conversation. Thanks so much for supporting us!
~ Elizabeth, Erika, and Katie
Elizabeth Potts Weinstein, Founder & Lead Attorney
Erika Yost Kumar, Strategy & Operations Manager
Katie Browning, Online Community Manager