Perhaps you’re thinking about:
- Your proprietary system for how you work with clients (and, you have plans to license your system to other professionals!).
- The new product, plugin, or app that you’re releasing now in beta and soon to the world.
- The program that you’ve been hosting locally for years, but are now ready to take international.
One way to safeguard that Big Idea is to register a trademark with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
The idea behind registering a trademark is to get exclusivity over the word or phrase you use to describe your product or service, so no other company can use that same name. This way, your customers and clients are not confused & always know where to find you—and having that trademark inherently adds value to your company.
But … some businesses don’t need trademarks.
I know that you’ve heard how important trademarks are to every company. But the truth is:
- Some names don’t make good trademarks.
- Some trademark applications will never be approved by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Sometimes a trademark application is just not a good use of your limited resources.
There’s no point in wasting thousands of dollars on attorney’s fees and USPTO fees unless registering a trademark is a good strategy for you.
So to help you make the best decision for you, I’m offering the Trademark Counseling Session ($350), where I’ll:
- Help you evaluate your potential trademark.
- Give you recommendations on what steps would be best for you.
- Discuss the benefits, costs, and likely outcome of each option with you, so you can make an informed decision.
How does a Trademark Counseling Session work?
- When you sign up for a Trademark Counseling Session, I’ll email you a few questions about your potential trademark, the products and services involved, and your industry.
- Before we talk, I’ll do an informal search to determine if your potential trademark has any conflicts or similar trademarks in your industry or any similar industries, by searching the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office trademark database and Google.
- We’ll have a 30-minute call via phone or Skype to discuss the search results, your potential trademark, and your various options for moving forward.
How do I get started?
Reserve your Trademark Counseling Session ($350) here:
By signing up for a Counseling Session using the button above, you agree to these Terms.
What if I have multiple ideas for a trademark, and don’t know what to pick? Do I need to decide before I talk to you?
Now is a great time to talk to an attorney!! If you have a short list of brainstormed ideas, a Counseling Session is perfect to help you pick which one would be the most effective trademark, from a legal perspective. A legal review should be done early, before you spend tons of money and energy on a trademark that will not work out.
What if I want to file a trademark application? How does that work?
Your Trademark Counseling Session fees can be applied to any of the Trademark Plans below:
[table id=2 /]
(Fees to the USPTO are an additional $325 per class, or product/sales category, of your trademark application.)
If you already know you want a Trademark Plan, then contact me with your situation and we can start working together.
When are you next available for a Trademark Counseling Session?
I can take up to four new Trademark Counseling Session clients per month. We usually can schedule your Session within two weeks of your signing up, but occasionally we will need to schedule your Session further out due to scheduling conflicts. If you have an urgent deadline, please contact me directly using the contact form below to check on my availability.
What if I need multiple trademarks?
It’s efficient to file multiple trademarks applications at the same time. After our Counseling Session, I’ll give you a quote for a custom Trademark Plan including multiple trademark applications.
Can you help people in any state or country?
Yes, I can help you with a trademark application before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, regardless of where you are physically located. If you are not located in the U.S. but transact business inside the U.S., you may need a U.S. trademark to adequately protect your interests. Contact me so we can email about your particular situation and see if this is a good fit for you.
What’s *not* included?
What’s not included: appealing the denial of a trademark application, litigating trademark infringement, and paying the application fees to the USPTO. If you have any questions about what you might need to address your particular situation, let me know and I can design a custom Trademark Plan for you.
Does this Counseling Session or Trademark Plan guarantee I will get a trademark?
No. I wish I could give you certainty, but in trademarks there are no guarantees. One reason I’m doing a Counseling Session for everyone first is so you are fully aware of the likelihood of your trademark registration application being granted. But even then, occasionally a trademark is denied by the USPTO based on information that we could not have foreseen. If that happens, I will help you either come up with an alternative trademark, or strategize a plan for working around the difficulty.
What if I have questions before I sign up?